Friday, April 25, 2008

Chanda's Wars by Allan Stratton

A more serious review from the Maelstrom for a more serious novel. After reading Mr. Stratton's book I have gained a precious insight into the trials of a nation and time torn by poverty and internal abuses.

Six months have passed since the untimely death of Chanda’s mother. Alone, but for a misfit group of friends on her street, she must raise her siblings (aged 5 and 6). All the same, motherhood is a difficult occupation and it isn’t long until she must run to the family that once betrayed her when she had need of them most. But there are more dangers out in the bush than relational dystrophy. Rwanda is split down the middle by a horrific civil war. When the cruel general Mandiki kidnaps Chanda’s brother and sister, she must summon all of her bravery and courage to save them from a horrific life as child soldiers in the rebel army.

Chanda’s Wars was written with a great deal of passion. And truly, that is the only way to write a novel dealing with such enormous (and real) issues. While not among the best-written books I have ever read, the story it tells is important enough that it should be read to educate if not to entertain. Some scenes of graphic violence (many involving children) may be found disturbing. But the ultimate redemption of this novel was in Chanda. This character is unforgettable in her strength and drive and her simple, bold understanding of complex matters is inspiring.

I bestow 6.5 lightnings on this novel and encourage you to find and read it at the earliest convenience.

Somewhat Subdued but Inspired,

*Aella Siofra*


*Edit- It appears that there is a book preceding this in Chanda's story, known as Chanda's Secrets. I was not aware of its existence when reading the sequel and believe anyone to be fully capable of reading Chanda's Wars without first reading Secrets. Sorry for any inconvenience.*Aella*

4 comments:

Ink Mage said...

This sounds good, if sad. Thanks for the review! And I'd never heard of Chanda's Secrets before, either, although I had heard of this book.

Anonymous said...

intense....

also, what happened to Medeia? her blog is all...gone and full of "this page not found"ness.

Anonymous said...

OH! Well, Medeia's blog has a new URL. One that I can't especially recall. I would recommend you go to my blog and click on the "Shade Dwells Here" link on my sidebar. That should bring you to her new place of rest.

*Aella*

Medeia said...

Yeah, sorry. I finally realized that multiple accounts can post on the same blog, so I set up my own blogger account. I also did an extreme blog makeover and couldn't use the same URL. And now blogger won't let me switch it back. grrrrrrrr. *is mad at blogger*

Anyway, I can now be located at

http://ebonydarkness.blogspot.com