Tuesday, May 6, 2008

An Interview with the Marvelous Cinda Williams Chima

In case the title didn't spell it out for you, I recently interviewed Cinda Williams Chima, author of The Warrior Heir, The Wizard Heir, and The Dragon Heir (which I can't wait to read). Aella reviewed The Warrior Heir, and I reviewed The Wizard Heir a while ago. Well, I don't want to keep you waiting or anything. Here it is:

Note:
I may have inserted occasional comments.

1.) What was your first published piece of writing?

I published an essay about my son’s love of sports in the Plain Dealer (Cleveland newspaper). The first fiction I published was The Warrior Heir!

2.) Did you have a favorite book as a child? Do you have one now?

That's like choosing among my children. I remember loving Old Yeller and Charlotte's Web and Beverly Cleary books when I was really small. My parents had friends with teenage daughters that had shelves and shelves of Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys and I used to borrow them by the sack. Later, I loved Lord of the Rings. That was my first fantasy hit.

*Cheers* Lord of the Rings!

3.) What do you do when you’re not writing?

My husband would say I’m always writing. I read. Sleep. Work my day job (I teach at a university, but I’m leaving to write full time.) I also like to garden and weave and hope to get back to that.

4.) Do you have any favorite quotes?

There’s one from Tolkien that I use in presentations that says that stories grow out of the leafmold of the mind.

5.) Have you ever thought about writing a Wikipedia entry?

No, I don’t really understand how to do that. Someone has posted about Warrior Heir, which is great, but there’s a big spoiler in there and I wish someone would go in and take the spoiler out (and leave the entry). Maybe I’ll figure it out after I leave the day job.

I've often wondered who actually writes the entries for Wikipedia...
6.) Are there any books that you strongly feel people should read?

The Warrior Heir, The Wizard Heir, and the Dragon Heir. 
It’s hard to make a general statement because there are so many books and so many different appetites for reading. True fantasy fanatics should read the LOTR because Tolkien created the archtypes for so much of what we see in fantasy today.

Mmmm, the Lord of the Rings is on my list, too. Right next to Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams and the Dark Elf Trilogy by R. A. Salvatore.

7.) Out of all the guilds (Enchanter, Sorcerer, Wizard, Warrior) which would you be if you had the choice?

I’d have to be a wizard, because wizards shape magic with words.

8.) Which of your books do you think has the best cover art?

I love them all, but I’d have to say The Dragon Heir. I love dragons.

I would have to agree with you. It's quite fabulous.

9.) Ok, multiple choice time *shamelessly stolen from B*
What should you get when you divide zero by zero?
a) 0 (Zero over anything is zero.)

b) Undefined (Anything over zero is undefined.)

c) 1 (Anything over itself is 1.)
d) 42 (The answer to the ultimate question is 42.)

Excuse me?

I'm confused by that too... but the scifi geek in me screams "42"

10.) Typhoons, hurricanes, or cyclones?

Typhoons. They sound so exotic and dangerous.

11.) Want to tell us a little about The Dragon Heir? Please?

The main viewpoint characters this time are Jason and Madison. But all the other characters have major roles onstage. There is a massive battle scene at the end. One of my favorite characters dies.
Also, if you haven’t seen it, the first chapter is posted to my Website. www.cindachima.com

In other news, I’ve signed a contract with Hyperion for a new fantasy series, first book tentatively titled The Demon King. There’s some info about that at my site.

I haven't actually seen the first chapter yet. I'll have to go check that out. I'm so glad that Jason is one of the main characters this time, he's amazing.
-------------------------------------------------

Well, I would like to extend my thanks for the interview and I hope that everyone enjoyed reading it.

From the Shadows,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay Jason!

also, Wiki-editing is pretty easy. i would be lying if i said i hadn't done it.
(hey, they were Zahler-bashing in the Last Days article. that is NOT FOOL, man. NOT FOOL!)
...as i would equally be lying if i didn't said i didn't almost run a Midnighters wiki, most of the articles written by me.
cough cough. i'm going to go scuttle off now. coughvisitchasingmidnighttwikicough

Ink Mage said...

Ooh, thanks for the interview! I didn't know about the new series she's planning.